Jen's Spin Cycle for this week is all about FEAR so I looked for some songs and found a few good ones, but my favorite includes this lyric:
may this time in your heart never fade away
and one about poisoning your own mind with fear. That started me thinking...
I used to be a skeeredy cat, for sure. I am still really reactive to surprises, but I try as hard as I can to be brave so as not to turn my two into skeeredy cats. It's been amazingly liberating - I can remember making conscious efforts to overcome some social fears: making speeches, running meetings, etc. I started purposely going to a movie or restaurant on my own and daring people to feel sorry for me. (Did I mention the ornery streak?)I used to be afraid of the boogey man and being alone at night, then we moved to the boonies and have no curtains - I never think about it unless we have a babysitter, then I just hope she's brave ;-)
I'm really trying not to fear pass along, not only so that they can be tough little boys, but not to limit themselves. I have become much less fearful or at least less reactive since becoming a parent, tho I'm more (afraid) of long-term things like their emotional and physical health and safety....
It's been all about fears for a few months on the parenting front. I remember from working days that it's really common for children to have all sorts of fears crop up at these ages, when they are separating the real from the imaginery. Little did I know when I gave all those workshops.....
All-4-One
5 Somethings To Talk About:
I completely understand. My fears are pretty unsubstanstiated when it comes to Sprite. I tend to overreact a lot to the what-if's and overthink the possibilities. Great spin! You're linked!
I've had to stand up to my fears too since becoming a parent. That doesn't mean that I don't haul ass back to the house after taking the garbage to the curb in the dark. There could be a boogey man lurking, you don't know!
I try not to show my fears around the kids either. I walk around in the dark and check out strange noises, despite my better judgment. At night though, I've got my covers up to my neck, and the blanket tucked around my feet, lest anything should tug at them.
Wow. When I was a kid I was terrified of my room sometimes. My parents had a very firm rule that they would not sleep in my bed and I would not sleep in theirs. I remember being so scared I couldn't sleep, couldn't move, darely bared to breathe. I couldn't stand either one of my kids being that afraid. I climb into bed with them when they have nightmares and I allow them in my bed. I know it's probably a bad habit, but I remember how scary that is when you're a kid.
I know exactly what you're saying. We've gotta be brave little mommies for our kiddos.
Post a Comment
Thanx for stopping by - Tell It Like It Is